Kidnappers are not invading Ibadan – Police Commissioner

0

kidnappersThe Oyo State Police Command has described as false, mischievous and misleading, the story that kidnappers invaded Ibadan, which made headlines in some national newspapers during the past week.

In a statement issued on Friday and signed by the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor, the command said that though the authorities of Onireke High School, Ibadan apprehended a mentally challenged man whose presence had been noted in the school’s vicinity over the years on the suspicion that he could be pretending, the scenarios painted in the newspaper publications never existed.

The statement read further that the suspect was handed over to Eleyele Police Division where officers confirmed that he had been brought to the police station on several occasions and had earlier been charged to a magistrate court.

It disclosed that the magistrate sitting over the court where the case was being heard declined further hearing on the suspect’s case on May 4, 2013 after he was confirmed to be of unsound mind by medical personnel in Agodi Prisons, Ibadan, where he was remanded.

The command said it was disheartening that the media could conjure scenarios that misled the general populace into believing that the Chibok girls’ saga was being re-enacted in Ibadan, especially on the marking of 100th day of their abduction.

It urged members of the public to discountenance the story in its entirety, assuring parents and guardians of the safety of their children and wards.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply