The management of the University of Ibadan yesterday gave their official account of how an undergraduate student of the institution died. It would be recalled that the students of the university protested last week over the death of their colleague, a first class candidate. The students said the decision of the officials of the institution’s medical center, Jaja Clinic, to reject the student subsequently led to his death.
The school said the student partook in several strenuous activities and watched the soccer match in carbon monoxide-filled room with an electric fan that wasn’t working.
Here is the official statement released by the university.
“He carried out his normal activities earlier on Wednesday, May 6, 2015. Very early in the day, he attended the Gymnastics practical with other students in his Department (7.00 – 9.00 a.m.). He later went to attend the Induction Programme organized for fresh students in his department. He attempted to participate in a football match between his Department of Health Education and Human Kinetics and the Department of Library and Archival Studies (LARIS) in the afternoon, but could not due to the fact that he did not train with his department’s team. He thereafter returned to the faculty to attend a GES class that held between 4.00 – 6.00p.m. It was from here that he later returned to Independence Hall to watch a football match between Barcelona and Bayern Munich relayed in the Junior Common Room, JCR. The match started at 7.45 pm that evening. A generator was used to supply electricity to the JCR due to power outage that evening. The generator was placed about 50 meters away from the JCR. The student sat in the front row and was facing a non-rotating standing fan in the JCR. At about 30 minutes into the football match, a student sitting next to him observed that he had slumped and was motionless.The concerned student promptly carried him out of the JCR for resuscitation with the assistance of some medical students around who gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation” he said.